Saturday 9 February 2008

Pick me up

Existential dilemmas perpetually plague my mind. While a lot of people believe in fate, I believe that life is more about “Yuan,” chance, rather than fate. Unless you entirely stopped thinking for yourself, it would be absurd to say that you were simply fated towards one decision rather than another. Many distinguish human beings from animals simply because we have the rational mind to choose. As such, individuals’ journey through life is based upon particular choices from the chances we are given. There’s an almost mathematical element to this ideology – when we choose one event over another, the outcome will thus differ. Fate is eternally undefined.

There are two men in my life – one I could almost call a boyfriend and the other I could almost call a brother. If I could find the formulae to eliminate the “almost” in both parts of this so called equation, perhaps I would have it all. This assertion would perhaps appear ridiculous to you, laughable even, for I am a terrible mathematician. But being the dreamer that I am, I take this thought one step further - if I then had the mathematical capabilities to be find a way to place a (+) between the boyfriend and brother, you might even become quite jealous of me, for I would have it all. If “pick me up” is the message of someone who is about to fall, then these two were the only ones who were listening. There is a difference between fate and chance - Do you see it now?

No comments: